What is an Augmentative Communication evaluation?
An augmentative communication evaluation includes:
- A review of the student’s educational history as provided by parents, teachers, therapists and school district personnel
- An individualized evaluation by a speech/language pathologist.
- A written report with recommendations for augmentative communication implementation. The report provides specific product information in order to assist the school district, agency or parent in implementing recommendations expeditiously.
If you would like a CATIES staff member to contact you, please submit an Augmentative Communication Request Form. A CATIES staff member will review your request and contact you to finalize plans, discuss the fee schedule and review the evaluation procedures.
Augmentative communication evaluations may be recommended or requested by:
- Educational administrators
- Child Study Team personnel
- P-12 teachers
- Case managers
- Physical therapists, occupational therapists & speech
- Parents of students with disabilities
- Individuals with disabilities
Some sample outcomes for an assistive technology evaluation include identifying:
- software to support a student’s IEP goals.
- specific technology tools to support a student’s reading & writing.
- technology-based strategies to accommodate a student who is a poor reader in the content areas.
- a reliable method of gaining access to computers and the Internet for students with physical/sensory disabilities.
What is needed to schedule an Augmentative Communication Evaluation?
An evaluation is an involved process that requires review of a student’s background. In order to maximize the benefits of an evaluation, CATIES requests that those individuals who frequently interact with the student complete intake forms. These forms provide valuable information to assist the evaluator in making appropriate and useful recommendations.
Any other documentation or information that can help provide the evaluator with information about the student and curriculum is welcome. These other documents often include a copy of the IEP, relevant sample copies of student work, evaluations or documentation from professionals working with the student and not listed below.
After talking to a CATIES staff member, please download and complete the appropriate forms:
- School Representative form*
- Special Education Teacher form*
- Parent/Guardian form*
- Physical Therapist form
- Occupational Therapist Form
- Speech Therapist Form
Where are evaluations conducted?
Augmentative communication evaluations are usually conducted in the environment where the student is most comfortable communicating and/or where communication skills most need to be addressed. This is most often the student’s school or home. Location will be determined on an individual basis.